Monday, February 2, 2009

Newsletter 2009-01-30

Hello brothers and sisters in Christ,

Thank you very much for your prayers and support. I have truly appreciated the knowledge that there are people praying for me "back home". Almost a week has elapsed since my arrival on Monday morning. Arriving a day early allowed me to settle in before having to worry about registration and lectures. In case anyone is not aware of my location; I am at the George Whitefield College (hereafter referred to as GWC) which is in Muizenberg, Cape Town. My room is one of the larger rooms as I think it should normally support two students, however, I am on my own here. It is very comfortable and much larger than my room at home (with the added advantage
that I do not have all the muck that I have accumulated in my room at home in my room here). My room overlooks a lovely slate roof and is conveniently tucked behind some high buildings (more specifically; the college and another res house) so as to prevent me from being distracted by anything annoying, such as the sea or birds (although the sky is unfortunately visible if I move close to the windows). I get three meals per day and we alternate washing up the dishes (Fridays and Sundays are
the best because the supper is packed and thus there are no supper dishes).

On Tuesday we began the registration process, receiving a number of forms, and getting a tour of the surrounding area and the campus. Only the first years were there which allowed us to get to know one another a bit (though there are still people whose names elude me). The library is delightfully big and I foresee myself spending a great deal of time there.

Lectures began on Wednesday morning after the veterans (anyone who isn't here for the first time) had registered which took an hour. Immediately before lectures, though, was chapel. Because it is language school (which ends at the end of this coming week) we have chapel every day. The preacher for this period (since it will normally be a student as far as I know) has been Gavin Millard, a local CESA (Church of England SA) pastor. He has been expositing Jeremiah and I have thoroughly enjoyed it.

It is now, as I have said, language school. I, therefore, have been learning Greek, a class taken by Johnathan More. I can see that it is a subject that will stretch me but as of now, I have been loving it. At the time of writing I can construct simple sentences and have a small, but rapidly expanding, vocabulary. The pace that we have been going is fast and I think that the slower people may struggle because of that but I am trying to read a day ahead in the text book so that the lectures are not
completely foreign and I am also trying to keep at least a chapter ahead in vocabulary; the killer of many a procrastinating Greek student.

The interaction that I have had with the other students, specifically those in res, has been marvellous. We have already had discussions about various issues (such as spiritual gifts and the doctrines of grace). There are many Baptists studying here including the SRC (student representative council) member in charge of my res. There are students here from Sudan, Tanzania, Ghana, Zimbabwe (and possible more) and a few from South Africa; probably only by a slight majority, most are from Cape Town. Tomorrow I will be taking a hike up the mountain that is usefully positioned behind
the college. I am told that it takes approximately three hours to get to the top.

I am still unsure which church will become my spiritual home here but I have about two Sundays in which to figure that out (I wrote this on Friday afternoon, since then I have been to St. Peters which was good but I am not sure whether I will make it will be the church I fellowship at). Most of the lecturers seem excellent, a few seem slightly eccentric but I'm looking forward to all my classes (I am particularly delighted that Greek is coming on so fast though). Many of the first years will be doing their BTh (as opposed to just a one year certificate in Theology) which
means that we will go all the way through together which should be good.

I am truly grateful, once again, for the prayers and support from you all and I look forward to what the coming year brings.

In Christ,
James Cuénod


--
James, a bondslave of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ

No comments:

Post a Comment