Saturday, February 21, 2009

James, a bond-servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, To those
interested who are dispersed abroad: Greetings. Grace to you and peace
from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

As my first week of lectures has come to an end, I can see that I will be
getting very busy as the term wears on. For this reason I am planning on
working well ahead, particularly with regards to the required readings but
also with regards to the assignments that I am able to do in advance.
Having said that, I am confident that I will not be overwhelmed if I work
hard and effectively. Ironically then, I suppose, I joined the philosophy
class (which happens on Wednesday afternoon where I have a free spot on my
timetable). I really enjoyed my first lecture and some of the students
recommended that, if I can, I finish the course this year and thus, not
have to worry about it later. I won't let it get in the way of my primary
studies but I have started the required reading and have found it
fascinating (Sophie's World for anyone interested). I also have the
opportunity to do sign language which shouldn't require an incredible time
commitment (and, more importantly, one that I can afford) so I plan to do
that too.

As you read this, you may think that I am, at least mildly, insane. Well;
as it happens, I am already aware of that. I figure that since I came here
to learn, I should probably do some learning. Furthermore, while I'm in
first year I will have the most time for this sort of thing so I'll take
advantage of it (a sentiment that I feel may not be shared by some of my
peers). Having said that, I don't think that I'll take on anything more,
especially right now.

Our timetable here is one week long (with 10 subjects for first years) so
I have now had at least one lecture in each subject. I think that my
favourite subjects will be Hard Questions, essentially an introduction to
theology (as well as related topics such as the defence thereof etc.), and
NT Greek, which I am still really enjoying.

The majority of my "free" time is spent reading; most recently I have been
reading "The Message of Ephesians" by John Stott, an article out of
"Church, Worship and the Local Congregation" by D.B. Knox, "Sophie's
World" by Jostein Gaarder as well as numerous smaller articles that have
just been printed up for us by authors like J.I. Packer and chapters out
of books like "Encountering the Old Testament".

In short, and I suppose this phrase is getting old but nevertheless holds
true, I'm still loving it here. It is nice to be settling into routine now
you can pray that I keep on top of my work and maintain a sharp mind
during all the lectures.

Now to Him who is able to do far more abundantly beyond all that we ask or
think, according to the power that works within us, to Him be the glory in
the church and in Christ Jesus to all generations forever and ever. Amen.

James Cuénod


--
James, a bondslave of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ

No comments:

Post a Comment