Friday, August 28, 2009

James Cuénod's Newsletter 2009-08-28

James, a bond-servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, To those
interested who are dispersed abroad: Greetings. Grace to you and peace
from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

What I've discovered is that somehow, regardless of how busy I may be, I
make the time to do other weird things. I was nominated to be the res
representative but I didn't win. The SRC (Student Representative Council)
elections were held this afternoon and at their announcement (about two
weeks ago) one of my classmates (who also stays in res) said that he's
going to campaign to be in it. Seeing the potential for fun, I joined him
in the cause. We made fourteen different posters with the slogan "A
Passion For" and then a subject (for example, "A Passion For Truth" or, "A
Passsion For Knowledge") which we stuck up all over the place. This then
incited a smear campaign by some other first years (who weren't running
but just wanted to join the fun). They created some posters with negative
"A Passion For" slogans which we responded to by putting positive twists
on them. The opposition also made a short video putting the face of our
candidate on the villains from various TV series and movies (it was played
yesterday for the first time). So, we were up until after 1:00 this
morning creating a counter to it. Our video made use of speeches by Martin
Luther King, Winston Churchill, John F. Kennedy and Nelson Mandela; so the
script was formulated using the speeches and we narrated it with a bunch
of friends and then overlayed it with images of the person who was being
impersonated. It was great fun and it must have worked because our
candidate is in the SRC!

A number of assignments have been due for this past week and still more
are due in the coming week so the pressure is not easing off. We have only
one week remaining in the term and it still seems like such a long way
off. Thankfully, Greek has relaxed a bit since we have basically finished
the book and our lecturer knows how much work we have. Next term we will
begin translating First John and Mark.

I've recently been thinking about which church to go to next year since I
have been asked to stay on at Mountainview Baptist. They do need the help
there and so I am weighing up my options, please pray that I would make
the right decision. It has been great to help out there over the past
couple of terms and I'm quite enjoying working with them on Fridays in the
youth groups.

Since I still have a lot to do before term end, please pray that I would
be able to focus my energy where it needs to be focussed and that I would
get enough rest. Please also keep my assigned church for next year in your
prayers and pray that my spiritual walk would take priority through the
intensity of work. Thanks for the prayers and emails!

In Christ,
James Cuénod


--
James, a bondslave of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ

No comments:

Post a Comment